Friday, September 26, 2008

Circle of Friends


Last week my sisters and I joined together (all of us together at the same time that is) to enjoy our 2nd Sister's Weekend. What a weekend! It included lots of traveling, lots of coffee, lots of laughing, and lots of talking. I think I learned something new about each of my sisters that weekend. I remember when we were young and lived at home all together we all promised we would never drift a part. It's funny how life does that to you...without you even knowing it's taking place. It was such a reconnecting weekend. It was, in a word, Priceless. I mean it. All the traveling and the shortness of the trip was of no consequence. It was worth it to be with each of them and be able to put my arms around them and kiss them and cry with them about situations and laugh about others. How does it happen? How do we drift from the people we share parents with? I'm not sure of the answer. I would like to know how to keep it from happening. And I think all of my sisters and I have the same sentiment...keeping our relationships close takes work and priority. And I always think...I can make friends now, but someday when I'm old and friends have drifted apart after years, I'll still have my sisters.

10 comments:

Laura D said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend. You post is causing me to think...Maybe I should have a "sister's weekend" with my sisters. It's hard to be as close when your so far apart.

Laura D said...

I mean across the country far apart! We were so close when I was home, now they're both in college. Somehow I still see them as my little sisters still in high school or jr high!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you were able to go and to enjoy your sisters! You all look so happy in the picture, and I'm sure you had many laughs and much reminiscing. Family is so important. We are certainly enjoying Tim and Kristen being here in Kansas! Since I did not have the privilege of having sisters, I think having a sisters' retreat is awesome.

Tim, Kristen , Megan, Emily, and Anna said...

I am glad you got some sister bonding time and catching up time in...I guess we will have to plan a sisters retreat in 4 years when Karis is home...and of course all of us sisters including you and Laura...hmm...what could we do? Sisters are so special!!!

Casey said...

Hey Bethany, I pop in and read your blog every so often. What a beautiful post about sisters. I'm glad you had a good time. You are blessed to be close with your sisters.

Karis said...

Beth! What a sweet post. Brought tears to my eyes. I am so happy for you and your sisters. Praise the Lord for the gift of your sisters and also the gift of your weekend together.

We need to talk soon. Maybe this weekend?!? We think our internet connection is back up to speed to where we can make calls.

cranny + b said...

awesome idea! And. . .I love the new layout;) Good to see you today!

Unknown said...

I too loved reading the post. We were so close too, and now live far far apart, but we talk a lot, and the times when our whole family is together is so priceless, Actually we are all going to Ecuador this christmas to all be together. I can't wait!!

jess said...

Cute background! I love the idea of a sisters weekend!! If your sisters are anything like mine, I'm sure it was the most refreshing time you had in a while!

Debs said...

I feel a song coming on... "Sisters! Sisters! There were never such devoted sisters..." C'Mon...sing along now! ;o)
Love you Bethy!